specialist market services
The independent schools sector has its own special accounting and finance
requirements. In many instances there is considerable competition for
both able pupils and good staff. We can help school bursars and governors
- producing end of year financial statements promptly
- ensuring that they are in a user-friendly format
- assisting with decisions on fee levels
- discussing remuneration packages
- providing an external confidential payroll service
- advising on accounting systems
- setting up associated trading companies
- advising on charity matters/gift aid arrangements
- considering capital projects and the financing thereof
- reviewing revenue budgets and projections
Having acted for a large number of solicitors over many years, we
have built up an enviable knowledge of the issues which matter to professional
solicitor practices. As well as dealing with compliance issues, we are
ideally placed to provide expertise in the following areas:
- Practice management
- Reporting systems
- Practice Strategy
- Practice Development
- Partnership Agreements
- Retirement Of Partners
- Introduction Of New Partners
- Goodwill / Annuities
- Work In Progress
The construction industry is one of the most volatile sectors in the
UK economy and careful planning and advice are needed to maintain efficiency
and competitiveness. With years of experience in this sector, we pride
ourselves on having an understanding of the specific problems faced
by builders, building and civil engineering contractors, architects,
and civil engineering consultants, and in being able to recommend effective
We work with you to help you optimise your performance through advice
on appropriate funding, project planning, cashflow planning, payroll
services, etc. We guide you through the maze of regulations imposed
on the industry, help you to minimise your compliance costs, and help
you to build a successful future.
The retail sector has always been one of the most competitive business
environments to operate in, but with the rapid growth of direct marketing,
telephone sales, internet trading and overseas competition - especially
from mainland Europe-, more than ever retailers need sound financial
advice and the support of a team of professionals who can help them
maintain their market share.
We have considerable experience in acting for the retail sector and
understand clearly their special requirements -especially the need for
real-time, proactive advice and how to maintain and improve their position.
We can help you maximise your profitability through improvements in
your stock control, purchase re-ordering and reconciliation procedures
and where appropriate, advise on the installation of computerised systems.
Perhaps the biggest bane of a retailers life is the stringent demands
of the VAT regime. We can relieve you of a lot of unnecessary time and
expense by advising on the most appropriate scheme and handling your
VAT planning and administration.
Whether you are a small shopkeeper or a high street retailer, a mail
order company or an Internet trader, our team of experienced professionals
is here to help you achieve your business objectives.
The manufacturing sector is plagued with uncertainty and is often
hostage to factors beyond its control such as fierce global competition,
interest rates, currency values, employment levels and educational training.
Companies operating in such a business environment need experienced,
professional advisers to help them steer a steady course. With years
of experience acting for clients in the manufacturing sector, we can
- minimise risks from pricing and supply fluctuations
- optimise your stock control
- make important investment decisions
- arrange acquisitions, mergers or disposals
- raise finance
- manage cashflow through interest rate and exchange rate fluctuations
- handle foreign currency transactions
We can help with all your accounting, tax and audit requirements. Whatever
your business structure - sole trader, partnership or a limited company
- we can help you manage your profitability.
From a financial point of view, the medical profession is probably
the most complex of all of the professions. The growth of private medical
plans and hospital trusts and the constant changes to the NHS structure
mean doctors need expert and timely advice in financial matters. Through
years of service to the medical profession, we have accumulated a wealth
of experience in dealing with issues such as:
- claiming reimbursements from the NHS
- accounting for income from different sources such as hospital PAYE
work, private patients and participation on advisory panels
- partnership arrangements such as income sharing or joint ownership
- advising doctors who are technically self-employed but participate
in the NHS pension scheme
- partnership agreements
- provision for partners' taxation liabilities
- property ownership and finance
- claims for partners personal business expenditure
- private practice accounts for consultants
Farming and Agriculture
Farming is a different kind of business with its own unique set of
rules and regulations. At Pearson May we have been working with the
agricultural community for over 150 years and have a wealth of experience
to draw upon.
We appreciate the significance of developments in the Common Agricultural
Policy and understand such things as land values and milk quotas.
This understanding provides us with a clearer, wider view of your situation.
It means that we don't have to go through a learning process on your
Most importantly, it means that we can provide you with high quality
advice which is real value for money.
At Pearson May we pride ourselves on our friendly, helpful and professional
We take care of clients' business as we would our own, and our in-depth
knowledge of the agricultural sector gives us a head start which makes
us a highly cost effective resource for your business.
An analytical approach to reaching successful financial compensation
A specialist service for solicitors when a claim for financial compensation
is at issue.
Typically, cases may involve:
- accusations of fraud
- death or personal injury
- professional or medical negligence
- loss of earnings or profits
- loss of property or personal possessions
- the breakdown of a business relationship
- the breakdown of a marriage
- valuation disputes
Litigation, disputes and the potential threat of court action can be
very stressful and distressing for the individuals involved - so we
are conscious of the need to complete our work as swiftly and discreetly
as possible, particularly with a view to aiding out of court settlements.
In doing this work we adopt a detailed and inquisitive approach to
our research in order to spot anomalies and identify weakness in any
disclosures; and use a creative approach to seeking out and resolving
the financial facts of the matter.
Our litigation specialists also involve our corporate finance and tax
consultancy teams when appropriate.
Whether the case involves someone making or defending a claim we can
- investigating and assessing the financial position of the individuals
or companies involved
- quantifying loss and liability
- advising on the documents which are required to support the legal
- briefing the legal team on the financial aspects and intricacies
of the case
- preparing expert reports
- assisting with settlement negotiations
- appearing as an expert witness in court to give evidence